Sunday, 30 August 2026




JOB INTERVIEW ENGLISH: “WHY DO YOU WANT THIS JOB?”

This is not the time to say:

“Because I’m interested in the position.”

It’s not wrong. It’s just too general.

The interviewer wants to know why this particular job makes sense for you.

You don't need a complicated answer. Try to connect three things:

WHAT YOU CAN DO + WHAT YOU WANT TO LEARN + WHY THIS JOB

You could start with:

“I’m interested in this role because it would allow me to…”

“What attracted me to this position was…”

“I think this role would be a good fit for me because…”

Then make it personal:

“I already have experience in…, and I’d like to develop that further.”

“I’m particularly interested in the opportunity to…”

“I’d like to move into a role where I can…”

For example:

“I’m interested in this role because I already have experience working with customers, and I’d like to develop those skills in an international company. I was also interested in the opportunity to work as part of a larger team.”

Notice that the answer isn't:

“Why do I want any job?”

It's:

“Why does THIS job make sense for me?”

Before the interview, find two specific things about the role that genuinely interest you.

That will make your answer much easier — and much more convincing.






JOB INTERVIEW ENGLISH: “DO YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FOR US?”

The interview is almost over.

Then they ask:

“Do you have any questions for us?”

And you say:

“No, I think everything is clear.”

If you genuinely have no questions, that's fine. But having one or two good questions can help you finish the interview on a stronger note.

You don't need complicated questions.

Try asking about the job itself:

“What would a typical day in this role look like?”

“What would be the main priorities in the first few months?”

“What would you expect the person in this role to achieve in the first three months?”

Or about the team and the way of working:

“Could you tell me a little more about the team I’d be working with?”

“How does the team usually work together?”

“What do you enjoy most about working here?”

And if you want to understand what happens next:

“Could you tell me a little about the next steps in the process?”

Avoid questions you could easily answer yourself.

For example, if the salary and working hours are clearly explained in the job advertisement, there's probably no need to ask about them again.

And don't ask questions just to impress the interviewer.

Ask something you genuinely want to know.

One good question is better than three questions you don't really care about.

And remember:

An interview is not only about them deciding whether you're right for the job.

It's also your chance to decide whether the job is right for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment