Why You Shouldn’t Memorise Your Answers Word for Word
When preparing for a job interview, it’s natural to practise your answers. In fact, preparation can help you feel more confident.
However, memorising your answers word for word can create a different problem: you may start to sound rehearsed.
Interviewers usually want a conversation, not a perfect speech. If you forget one word, you might panic or lose your place. You may also sound unnatural because you are trying to remember the exact sentences you prepared.
A better idea is to prepare key points instead of a complete script. Think about:
- the main idea you want to communicate;
- one or two examples from your experience;
- useful vocabulary you may need.
Then practise explaining the same ideas in different ways.
For example, instead of memorising:
“One of my greatest strengths is my ability to work effectively under pressure.”
You could remember the key idea “I work well under pressure” and explain it naturally:
“I think one of my strengths is that I can stay calm when there is a lot to do. For example…”
The message is more important than using the same words every time.
How to Talk About Weaknesses Without Sounding Fake
The question “What is your biggest weakness?” can feel difficult. The problem is that many people give answers that sound carefully prepared rather than honest.
For example:
“My biggest weakness is that I’m a perfectionist.”
This answer is very common, and interviewers have probably heard it many times.
Instead, choose a real but professional weakness. Then explain what you are doing to improve it.
A useful structure is:
Weakness → Example → Improvement
For example:
“In the past, I sometimes found it difficult to delegate tasks because I wanted to control every detail. I realised that this wasn’t always the best way to work, so I’ve been trying to communicate more clearly and trust other people with responsibilities.”
This answer sounds more believable because it includes self-awareness and action.
You don’t need to pretend that your weakness is secretly a strength. Be honest, but choose something that doesn’t make you unsuitable for the job.
Remember
A good interview answer is not a perfect answer. It should help the interviewer understand how you think, what you have learned and who you are as a professional.
Prepare your ideas. Practise your English. But when the interview starts, try to have a conversation.
That sounds much more natural than a memorised speech.
%207.11.18%E2%80%AFp.%C2%A0m..png)
%207.12.40%E2%80%AFp.%C2%A0m..png)
No comments:
Post a Comment