How to Admit a Mistake Professionally
Mistakes happen at work. The important thing is not only to admit them, but to explain what happened and show that you are taking responsibility.
Instead of simply saying:
“I made a mistake.”
you can sound more professional with phrases like:
“I realised there was a mistake in the report.”
→ You explain what you discovered.
“I’m sorry, I made an error with the figures.”
→ A simple and direct way to take responsibility.
“I should have checked this more carefully.”
→ You recognise what you could have done differently.
“I’ve corrected the mistake and updated the report.”
→ You show that you have taken action.
“I’ll make sure I check this more carefully next time.”
→ You show how you will avoid repeating the mistake.
A useful formula is:
ADMIT → EXPLAIN → SOLVE → PREVENT
For example:
“I realised there was a mistake in the report. I’m sorry about that. I’ve corrected it and sent the updated version. I’ll make sure I check the figures more carefully next time.”
You don't need a long explanation or a list of excuses.
Take responsibility, explain briefly, and focus on the solution.
That's professional English.
How to Say “No” at Work
Sometimes you need to say no at work.
Maybe you already have too much to do. Maybe the deadline is unrealistic. Or perhaps someone is asking you to do something that isn't part of your responsibilities.
Saying “No, I can't” may sound too direct.
Try these instead:
“I’m afraid I won’t be able to do that by Friday.”
→ Useful when the deadline is the problem.
“I’m currently working on X. Could we look at the deadline?”
→ You explain your situation and invite a solution.
“I don’t think I’ll have enough time to do this properly.”
→ A professional way to explain that you need more time.
“I can do this, but I’ll need to finish X first.”
→ You don't completely refuse; you explain your priorities.
“Could we discuss which task should be my priority?”
→ Excellent when you have several things to do.
For example:
“I’m currently working on the monthly report, and I’m afraid I won’t be able to finish this by Friday. Could we discuss which task should be my priority?”
Notice that you are not simply saying “no.”
You are explaining the situation and, when possible, offering a way forward.
That's an important part of professional communication.
You don't have to say yes to everything to be a good employee. Sometimes, you just need to know how to say no professionally.
%2010.21.09%E2%80%AFp.%C2%A0m..png)
%2010.21.28%E2%80%AFp.%C2%A0m..png)
No comments:
Post a Comment