Tuesday, 1 September 2026

BUSINESS ENGLISH | What to say when you don’t know



You’re in a meeting. Someone asks you a question… and you don’t know the answer.

What do you say?

Saying “I don’t know” is honest, but at work, you often need to do more than that.

Try these instead:

“I’m not sure, but I can check.”
→ You don’t have the information now, but you offer a solution.

“I don’t have that information at the moment.”
→ Professional and neutral.

“Let me check and get back to you.”
→ You need some time and will provide an answer later.

“I’m not sure about that. Could you give me a little more context?”
→ You need more information before answering.

The key is simple:

Don’t just say you don’t know. Show what you can do next.

That small difference can make your English sound much more professional.

What would you say if someone asked you a question in a meeting and you didn’t know the answer?

No comments:

Post a Comment