Tuesday, 1 September 2026

BUSINESS ENGLISH | How to disagree without sounding difficult



At work, you won’t always agree with your colleagues.

But disagreeing in English doesn’t have to sound aggressive, negative or difficult.

Instead of:

“I don’t agree.”

Try:

“I see your point, but I’m not sure I agree.”

Or:

“I understand what you mean, but I see it slightly differently.”

If you want to introduce another perspective:

“That’s one way of looking at it. Another option might be…”

And if you want to politely challenge an idea:

“I’m not sure that would work in this situation.”

A useful formula is:

ACKNOWLEDGE → DISAGREE → OFFER AN ALTERNATIVE

For example:

“I see your point, but I’m not sure this is the best option. Perhaps we could…”

You don’t need to avoid disagreement.

You need to know how to disagree professionally.

That’s real Business English.

No comments:

Post a Comment