How to Deal with Difficult Conversations
Not every conversation at work is easy.
Sometimes a colleague misses a deadline. A client is unhappy. There is a misunderstanding. Or something simply doesn't go as planned.
In these situations, the way you start the conversation can make a big difference.
Instead of immediately saying:
“This is your fault.”
try:
“Can we talk about what happened?”
→ A neutral way to start the conversation.
“I’d like to understand what went wrong.”
→ Focus on the situation rather than blaming someone.
“I understand your concern.”
→ Show that you are listening, even if you don't completely agree.
“I’m sorry if there was any misunderstanding.”
→ Useful when communication has not been clear.
“How can we solve this?”
→ Move the conversation towards a solution.
“What can we do differently next time?”
→ Focus on preventing the same problem in the future.
For example:
“I understand your concern. Can we talk about what happened and see how we can solve this?”
Notice the difference.
You are not ignoring the problem, but you are also not turning the conversation into an argument.
A useful rule is:
TALK ABOUT THE PROBLEM → LISTEN → FIND A SOLUTION
Good professional communication isn't about avoiding difficult conversations.
It's about knowing how to have them.
%2010.21.26%E2%80%AFp.%C2%A0m..png)
No comments:
Post a Comment