Monday, 7 September 2026

 



What to Say When Your Manager Gives You a New Task

Your manager gives you a new task while you are already working on something else.

Your first reaction might be:

“OK.”

But before you start, there are a few questions you may need to ask.

You can say:

“When would you need this by?”
→ Find out the deadline.

“Could you give me a little more information about what you need?”
→ Ask for clarification.

“Should I prioritise this over the report I’m working on?”
→ Check what is more important.

“Would you like me to send you a draft first?”
→ Check whether your manager wants to see your work before it is finished.

“I’m currently working on X. When would you like me to start this?”
→ Make your current workload clear.

For example:

“Sure. I can do that. I’m currently working on the monthly report, though. Should I prioritise this over the report?”

This doesn't sound difficult or unhelpful.

It shows that you are organised, responsible and aware of your priorities.

Remember:

Before you say “yes”, make sure you know WHAT, WHEN and HOW.

That's professional English you can use every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment