Practical English for Work: How to Disagree Professionally
Disagreement is a normal part of working with other people.
You may have a different idea, think a deadline is unrealistic or disagree with a suggestion from a colleague or manager.
The challenge is expressing your opinion clearly without sounding unnecessarily direct.
Start by showing that you have listened
You don't have to agree with someone to show that you understand their point.
Try:
“I see your point, but I’m not sure I agree.”
“I understand what you mean, but I see it differently.”
“I can see why you think that, but I’m not sure it would work.”
Then explain your reason:
“I’m not sure I agree. I think we might need more time.”
“I see your point, but I think we should look at another option.”
A useful structure is:
ACKNOWLEDGE → GIVE YOUR OPINION → EXPLAIN WHY
What if you have another idea?
You can make the conversation more constructive by suggesting an alternative:
“What if we tried it another way?”
“Perhaps we could look at another option.”
“I’m not sure that would work. Maybe we could…”
One phrase worth remembering is:
“I see your point, but…”
It's simple and easy to adapt to many workplace situations.
Remember
You don't need to avoid disagreement at work.
You need to be able to express a different opinion clearly and respectfully.
%208.27.27%E2%80%AFp.%C2%A0m..png)
No comments:
Post a Comment